- Annie Dillard Quote on Crash Helmets needed for worship
- What to Make of Karl Barth’s Steadfast Adultery
- Notes from Tim Keller's Sermon "Joy"
- General George Marshall, The Road To Character, Chapter 5, Institutions (like the CRC) in Times of Change
- Eugene Peterson's "ecclesiastical pornography"
- Elijah Slaughters the Priests of Baal
- Miroslav Volf on God's violence or ours
- Chapter 1: The Shift in "The Road to Character"
- Wisdom: What is It? by Tim Keller (What is the Fear of the LORD: Negative Fear vs. Positive Fear)
- Using the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Video Wisdom
Tag Cloud#crcstructure Abortion Acts Advent Advent 2014 age of decay age to come A Secular Age Benedict Option book of Leviticus Caitlyn Jenner Calvin College Charles Taylor Christmas City Church San Francisco Confessional conversation CS Lewis Damon Linker David Brooks Donald Trump Douthat Dreher Esther Exodus Genesis hell Inspire2017 James John Suk Jonathan Haidt Jordan Peterson Katy Perry Keller Kierkegaard King David King Saul Lent Leviticus Meme of the week Moses NT Wright Palm Sunday Pentecost Peter Enns Pope Francis Progressive Liberationism Racism raising of lazarus RCA reflected self relational polarity resurrection Rob Bell Rod Dreher Ryan Bell Skye Jethani SSM Steve Jobs Synod Synod2015 Synod2016 the book of exodus The Book of Judges The book of Kings The book of Leviticus The Book of Luke the book of Numbers The Book of Samuel the Gospel of John The Gospel of Matthew The Road to Character the self book The Ten Commandments Tim Keller transgender
- RT @BransonParler: One of my students referred to "Creation Regained" by Al Wolters as "Make Creation Great Again." Ouch. 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/b3tUIIFIKZg?a Ezekiel 11b 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/uadNyWejyVc?a Ezekiel 12 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/75LDPdB6Gkc?a Ezekiel 12b Prophecy and Knowing 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/G1XFtFduLPw?a Ezekiel 13 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/aZUogDwoa90?a People are enslaved to everything except God 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/x8xcvbtZoEA?a God Meets Elijah at Horeb 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/iUxgox0joC0?a Elijah vs the Prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/LyEATfvIj98?a The fall of Solomon, No Man is Above the Law 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/eGcWjxAhWRk?a The King without Justice is just a Pretentious Thief 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/-uHcX4VzPhk?a The Corruption of Ahab 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/G1XFtFduLPw?a Ezekiel 13 6 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/7SVtTqEwlqg?a Freddie and Paul Show Episode 38 6 days ago
- Connecting Luther to Trump. Pondering the Legacy of the Reformation on a breezy California Mor… paulvanderklay.me/2017/10/14/con… via @wordpressdotcom 1 week ago
- King Ahab stumbles around "is this good?" paulvanderklay.me/2017/10/12/is-… 1 week ago
Category Archives: On the way to Sunday’s sermon
2 Kings 1 is another in a series of stories that on one level thrills us but also bothers people. Ahaziah falls through the lattice. He’s not a Calvinist, arising and saying “glad that’s over”. Instead he wants to know … Continue reading
Art Prize When I was in Grand Rapids MI last week I caught the tail end of Art Prize, which is a pretty big deal. A number of civic minded philanthropists and business owners sponsor some significant cash prizes for … Continue reading
How Ahab is exposed to be a petty thief rather than a king by sparing a life, and how another is shown to be a king as he is executed with brigands.
The Walking Dead (spoiler alert) Season 6 ended with meeting Negan. I have seldom seen a portrayal of evil as compelling as Negan. The situation is simple. Rick and the company of survivors we’ve been following are now vassals of … Continue reading
I’m preaching this week on 1 Kings 18, that great passage of prophetic confrontation. It is paradigmatic of prophetic confrontation. Here we finally had binary “proof” that Yhwh is God and Baal was not and after the big showdown Elijah … Continue reading
In a world that cannot afford stable happiness, Jesus denies us regime change, but offers us himself, and with him more than we could ask or imagine.
The Good Life It begins by seeing, or imagining “the good life”. We see it in others. We see it on TV. We naturally want it for ourselves and we try to figure out how to get it, and after … Continue reading