I love having conversations (or converZations as people tease me) with people you watch my YouTube channel. I’ve had so many requests I need to establish some structure to it. Here is the structure.
- If you’ve had two conversations with me then be gracious and let some first timers have a chance at the queue. Think about finding one to three others who you’ve seen on the channel to do a group with. When you’ve got a group and you can agree on a time slot sign up for one.
- I love meeting new people. As a pastor I’m particularly interested in your story of faith or unbelief. Why do you believe in God? Why can’t you believe in God? Why don’t you want to believe in God? How does all that work in you? I’ll likely lead you with questions and explore it with you. That’s a lot of what a pastor does. I won’t pressure you or bully you or try to scare you. I want to hear your story and help you put it out there so you can see it from a different perspective.
- Your Jordan Peterson journey or your journey through the Meaning Crisis. I’m curious about how that is going for you. As a pastor I rely on first hand accounts. No one has probably written a book on you so lay it out for me. I’ll help you by asking questions. Pastors help people curate and garden their stories.
- Is there a particular idea you want to talk about? My channel isn’t really the place where you have a chance to promote a project or even a cause. You can start your own channel for that. If there is an idea explain to me why it’s important to you and your life, not just in the abstract. Where does it impact your ideas? Again, if we’ve already spoke a couple of times try to find some friends who have already spoken with me (on or off the air) and maybe we can find a slot to talk about something.
- Consider starting your own channel. Others have done it. Consider gathering others together for a time to meetup on line. If you let me know and I have the chance I might be able to join. Consider editing down your group conversation and if it’s good enough maybe I’ll post it. Maybe I’ll start a sub-channel. I don’t know yet.
I’ve had to do some thinking in terms of this new aspect of my life, my ministry and my career. I pastor a marginally viable congregation. In pastor-speak “marginally viable” means they might have trouble always being able to cover my salary. I might start to look for more income in the future from this source. My congregation is small and very generous with my time but there are limits to the time and attention I can pay outside of this local church. I’m waiting for JBP to put out his Thinkspot. Maybe I’ll work on that. Maybe I’ll develop something else. We’ll see.
If you’d like to schedule a talk here’s the link. https://calendly.com/paulvanderklay/one2one
It might look full up off into forever but that’s only because I limit it look ahead 21 days. pvk
If you’ve secured a slot, congratulations! Here are some instructions.
I use zoom and a special zoom link for our meeting should have come with the confirmation.
You don’t need to purchase anything. I already have a paid zoom account. When you clink on the zoom link it will download “client” software to use with your browser on a PC or Ipad, smartphone, etc. to use for our conversation.
When we connect check the settings to make sure the proper webcam is selected and microphone for our talk. It’s common that your setting is muted. If you’re using a PC move your mouse towards the bottom of the screen and hit the ^ symbol to select the mic and camera options.
I normally schedule hour slots for individuals. If I have other conversations after you I might want to end the conversation 5 or 10 minutes before the hour so that I can take a break before the next talk.
Thanks for signing up!
Paul Vander Klay