1 Positive World: In 1987 the Miami Herald reported that Sen. Gary Hart had been having an affair, and cavorting with the woman in question on his yacht. He was forced to drop out of the presidential race as a result.
2 Neutral World: In 1998 the Drudge Report broke the story that Bill Clinton had been having an affair with intern Monica Lewinksy, including sex acts in the Oval Office. Bill Clinton was badly damaged by the scandal but survived it as the Democratic Party rallied around him and public decided his private behavior was not relevant to the job.
3 Negative World: In 2016 Donald Trump, a many whose entire persona (sexual antics, excess consumption, boastfulness, etc.) is antithetical to traditional Christianity, is elected president. The Access Hollywood tape, for example, had no effect on voter decisions about him.
Even for those who hate Christianity, the rise of Trump, something only possible in a post-Christian world, should give them pause to consider.
The neutral world Christians – and again that seems to be much of Evangelical leadership today – are in a tough spot when it comes to adjusting to the negative world. The move from positive to neutral world brought an increase in mainstream social status (think Tim Keller vs. Pat Robertson), but the move to a negative world will involve a loss of status. Let’s be honest, that’s not palatable to most. Hence we see a shift hard to the left and into very public synchronization with secular pieties. That’s not everybody in Evangelical leadership, but it’s a lot of them. Many of those who haven’t are older and long time political conservatives without a next generation of followers who think like them. (Political conservatism is also dying, incidentally).
Renn explains that he lives in Manhattan and loves it. He’s happy there, and has a lot to lose if he were to accept the implications of Negative World and live by them. He would prefer that Negative World were not true.
But the reality is even in my secular urban work the ground is eroding under my feet. Everything is becoming hyper-political, whether I want it to be or not or whether it should be or not. I’m going to end up in a higher conflict mode whether I want to or not. Just like what happened to Tim Keller at Princeton. Buckle up.
People are going to be forced to make choices, across a wide spectrum of domains. I’m afraid current trends indicate that Christian leaders are going to make the wrong ones. We already know from the past that social gospel style Christianity is a gateway to apostasy. That’s where the trend is heading here.
I was speaking with one pastor who is a national council member of the Gospel Coalition. He’s a classic neutral worlder who strongly disapproves of Trump. But he notes that the Millennials in his congregation are in effect Biblically illiterate and have a definition of God’s justice that is taken from secular leftist politics. They did not, for example, see anything at all problematic about Hillary Clinton and her views. A generation or so from now when these people are the leaders, they won’t be people keeping unpopular positions to themselves. They won’t have any unpopular positions to hide. They will be completely assimilated to the world. Only their ethics will no longer be Hillary’s, but the new fashion du jour.
- Notes from Tim Keller's Sermon "Joy"
- AI Porn is Here
- Notes from Tim Keller's sermon "Incarnation"
- Dorothy Sayers Writes herself into her novels
- The Difference Between a Faction and a Political Party
- Chapter 1: The Shift in "The Road to Character"
- The Road to Character, Chapter 10, The Big Me, and Summary
- "The Romantic Solution" from Earnest Becker's "The Denial of Death"
- David Brooks' treatment of Augustine in The Road to Character
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Video Wisdom
- Advent 2014
- age of decay
- age to come
- A Secular Age
- Benedict Option
- book of Leviticus
- Caitlyn Jenner
- Calvin College
- Charles Taylor
- City Church San Francisco
- Confessional conversation
- CS Lewis
- Damon Linker
- David Brooks
- Donald Trump
- John Suk
- Jonathan Haidt
- Jordan Peterson
- Katy Perry
- King David
- King Saul
- Meme of the week
- NT Wright
- Palm Sunday
- Peter Enns
- Pope Francis
- Progressive Liberationism
- raising of lazarus
- reflected self
- relational polarity
- Rob Bell
- Rod Dreher
- Ryan Bell
- Skye Jethani
- Steve Jobs
- the book of exodus
- The Book of Judges
- The book of Kings
- The book of Leviticus
- The Book of Luke
- the book of Numbers
- The Book of Samuel
- the Gospel of John
- The Gospel of Matthew
- The Road to Character
- the self book
- The Ten Commandments
- Tim Keller
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/2K-1HSvaBlU?a Jordan Peterson Jung Inspired Origin Story of the Bible 13 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/z2CdKlEoS2k?a The Freddie and Paul Show Episode 41 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/_kPKWbyYkbQ?a What does it mean that John the Baptist Prepares the way 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/LHy0tSlg7cY?a Ezekiel 18b 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/FgFcsWlkvFQ?a Freddie and Paul Show Episode 40 2 days ago
- How the application of Nietzsche is the fork in the road between @jordanbpeterson and @BretWeinstein / @SamHarrisOrg youtu.be/iWeUcXGKVjk 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/iWeUcXGKVjk?a Why applying Nietzsche divides Jordan Peterson from Sam Harris and Bret 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/LZiVwwUdCjc?a A Pastor Comments on Jordan Peterson's Bible Series Prolegomena of 5 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/NEaRWoY8GHw?a Jordan Peterson Raises Three Questions in Me 5 days ago
- Against Overgendering Harassment slatestarcodex.com/2017/12/04/aga… 1 week ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/X4UGfeNMJP0?a Nobody Knows the Day or the Hour 1 week ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/EXRrc6Ew1Aw?a Ezekiel 18a 1 week ago