Beaten Wives Matter
- From time immemorial wives (and other women) have been beaten by their domestic partners.
- For almost as long as we’ve had civilization wife beating has been not only legal but often condoned and promoted. You can find Ricky spanking Lucy on I Love Lucy. Wife beating has been institutionalized and perpetuated by institutions to the degree that we can call it systemic wife beating.
- You don’t actually have to have beaten your wife to be guilty of systemic wife beating. If you have participated in institutions that have perpetuated wife beating you are guilty of participating in this injustice.
- You don’t have to be a man to be guilty of participating in wife beating. Many women have been guilty of beating their domestic partners as well as participating in the institutions of systemic wife beating therefore perpetuating the cycles of wife beating. These have persisted even after legislating has been passed against it and institutions have been founded to eliminate it. The struggle against wife beating will go on until not only the wife beatings stop but the institutions and imaginations that perpetuate wife beating stop.
- You don’t have to be married to have participated in wife beating. There is something inside you that makes you not just a potential wife beater but someone who will participate in systemic wife beating even if you don’t realize it. You have always and will always be guilty of participating in wife beating even if you’ve been beaten yourself and been the victim of system wife beating. The best you can do is to sit and listen to beaten wives, to learn about your inner wife beater and to continue to acknowledge the guilt of system wife beating that you have participated in and perpetuated even unknowingly.
- Any resistance to fully embracing your guilt of wife beating is a sure signal of the guilt of wife beating. Wife beater fragility is more common than you think.
- Those who stand against wife beating also stand against all forms of oppression (but especially those forms from a special list that anti-wife-beating advocates have named).