The only two systems in which the mysteries and the philosophies come together are Hinduism & Xtianity: there you get both Metaphysics and Cult (continuous with the primeval cults). That is why my first step was to be sure that one or other of these had the answer. For the reality can’t be one that appeals either only to savages or only to high brows. Real things aren’t like that (e.g. matter is the first most obvious thing you meet—milk, chocolates, apples, and also the object of quantum physics). There is no question of just a crowd of disconnected religions. The choice is between (a.) The materialist world picture: wh. I can’t believe, (b.) The real archaic primitive religions: wh. are not moral enough. (c.)The (claimed) fulfilment of these in Hinduism, (d.) The claimed fulfilment of these in Xtianity. But the weakness of Hinduism is that it doesn’t really join the two strands. Unredeemably savage religion goes on in the village; the Hermit philosophises in the forest: and neither really interferes with the other. It is only Xtianity wh. compels a high brow like me to partake in a ritual blood feast, and also compels a central African convert to attempt an enlightened universal code of ethics.
Vanauken, Sheldon. A Severe Mercy (pp. 89-90). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
- Notes from Tim Keller's Sermon "Joy"
- City Church SF Changes Stance on Same Sex Couples
- "The Romantic Solution" from Earnest Becker's "The Denial of Death"
- Why God Invites a Sexually Abused, Run-away Slave to Return to Her Mistress
- Against Murderism | Slate Star Codex
- Tim Keller: "Our Call: Holy Living"
- How we talk to boys and girls
- Bret Stephens sides with Mass Deportation
- Married. Gay. And Mormon. (Part 2) | Religion News Service
- What happened at Synod 2017
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Video Wisdom
Tag Cloud#crcstructure Abortion Acts Advent Advent 2014 age of decay age to come A Secular Age Benedict Option book of Leviticus Caitlyn Jenner Calvin College Charles Taylor Christmas City Church San Francisco Confessional conversation CS Lewis Damon Linker David Brooks Donald Trump Douthat Dreher Epiphany Esther Exodus Genesis hell James John Suk Jonathan Haidt Katy Perry Keller Kierkegaard King David King Saul Lent Leviticus Meme of the week Ministry Share Overture Moses NT Wright Oprah Palm Sunday Pentecost Peter Enns Pope Francis Progressive Liberationism raising of lazarus RCA reflected self relational polarity resurrection Rob Bell Rod Dreher Ryan Bell Skye Jethani SSM Steve Jobs Synod Synod2015 Synod2016 the book of exodus The Book of Joshua The Book of Judges The book of Leviticus The Book of Luke the book of Numbers The Book of Samuel the Gospel of John The Gospel of Matthew The Road to Character the self book The Ten Commandments Tim Keller transgender
- The ascendant culture offers the reverse of living water. If you drink it you will ALWAYS be thirsty. promptandsincere.wordpress.com/2017/06/23/the… 45 minutes ago
- RT @PhilReinders: @PaulVanderKlay Absolutely - avoid all that relational, embodied messiness - give me distilled divinity. https://t.co/p2… 52 minutes ago
- RT @james_ka_smith: "Being troubled about the lack of outrage about" X is a distinctly post-Twitter moral piety, a version of "pics or it d… 1 hour ago
- RT @JonHaidt: Interesting that social media may not constrict political diversity of raw content. But i wonder how social forces color inte… 1 hour ago
- Has the Internet displacing church attendance highlighted over-reliance on teaching at the expense of fellowship, s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- California church attendance: "2x a month? more than a enough. What's the problem? " twitter.com/drmoore/status… 2 hours ago
- Literary Styles in the Bible youtu.be/oUXJ8Owes8E These guys are the BEST! 18 hours ago
- Pondering the transactional nature of this email. If you have no belief in reward from the Father then... https://t.co/sKewllw01G 2 days ago
- RT @BrookingsGlobal: The average stay in a camp for a refugee today is 15 years: brook.gs/2knbKuG #WorldRefugeeDay https://t.co/LOrk… 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/Ifi5KkXig3s?a Biblical Series IV: Adam and Eve: Self-Consciousness, Evil, and Death 3 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/R_GPAl_q2QQ?a Biblical Series III: God and the Hierarchy of Authority 4 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/hdrLQ7DpiWs?a Biblical Series II: Genesis 1: Chaos & Order 4 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/f-wWBGo6a2w?a Biblical Series I: Introduction to the Idea of God 4 days ago
- youtu.be/ul1Z8NTMCE8 My #crcsynod "postgame show" 6 days ago
- The Leadingchurch #CRCSynod 2017 "Postgame show". Discussion is welcome. youtu.be/ul1Z8NTMCE8 6 days ago