If you listen to what people in the alt-Right are saying about themselves, it’s clear that the overwhelming driving force behind the movement is a feeling that the white American identity is being either erased, or at the very least marginalized, by the diversity movement. And if American multicultural training resembles what I got in Canada at all, then that is to some extent a valid concern.
The fact that whites are still a cultural majority, that while males still overwhelmingly hold power, and that white privilege continues to exist in nearly every facet of North American culture is not the issue: what the young men (and women) of the alt-Right are concerned about is not their objective position in society, but the validation of their cultural identity.
And that is valid. If the fundamental assertions of multiculturalism (that all cultures are essentially valuable and that a loss of cultural identity represents a traumatic blow) are true, then it really isn’t okay to teach kids that their culture is fundamentally violent, exploitative, bankrupt or functionally not a culture. The fact that white European cultures did, in fact, do exactly this to other cultures for hundreds of years doesn’t make turnabout fair-play. Yes, we have to be honest, realistic and repentant about the harm that has been done to minorities, and yes, we absolutely have to work towards equality and inclusion, but we have to find ways of doing this without sending the message that the celebration of diversity = hatred of white culture.
- The Difference Between a Faction and a Political Party
- The Road to Character, Chapter 3, The Eisenhowers plus Sin and Moderation
- Dorothy Day, "The Road to Character" Chapter 4
- Annie Dillard Quote on Crash Helmets needed for worship
- Wisdom: What is It? by Tim Keller (What is the Fear of the LORD: Negative Fear vs. Positive Fear)
- "The Romantic Solution" from Earnest Becker's "The Denial of Death"
- Chapter 1: The Shift in "The Road to Character"
- Tim Keller: "Our Call: Holy Living"
- Notes from Tim Keller's Sermon "Joy"
- Tim Keller Wisdom on Sabbath and Rest
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Video Wisdom
Tag Cloud#crcstructure Abortion Acts Advent Advent 2014 age of decay age to come A Secular Age Benedict Option book of Leviticus Caitlyn Jenner Calvin College Charles Taylor Christmas City Church San Francisco Confessional conversation CS Lewis Damon Linker David Brooks Donald Trump Douthat Dreher Esther Exodus Genesis hell Inspire2017 James John Suk Jonathan Haidt Jordan Peterson Katy Perry Keller Kierkegaard King David King Saul Lent Leviticus Meme of the week Moses NT Wright Palm Sunday Pentecost Peter Enns Pope Francis Progressive Liberationism Racism raising of lazarus RCA reflected self relational polarity resurrection Rob Bell Rod Dreher Ryan Bell Skye Jethani SSM Steve Jobs Synod Synod2015 Synod2016 the book of exodus The Book of Judges The book of Kings The book of Leviticus The Book of Luke the book of Numbers The Book of Samuel the Gospel of John The Gospel of Matthew The Road to Character the self book The Ten Commandments Tim Keller transgender
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/b3tUIIFIKZg?a Ezekiel 11b 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/uadNyWejyVc?a Ezekiel 12 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/75LDPdB6Gkc?a Ezekiel 12b Prophecy and Knowing 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/G1XFtFduLPw?a Ezekiel 13 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/aZUogDwoa90?a People are enslaved to everything except God 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/x8xcvbtZoEA?a God Meets Elijah at Horeb 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/iUxgox0joC0?a Elijah vs the Prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/LyEATfvIj98?a The fall of Solomon, No Man is Above the Law 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/eGcWjxAhWRk?a The King without Justice is just a Pretentious Thief 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/-uHcX4VzPhk?a The Corruption of Ahab 19 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/G1XFtFduLPw?a Ezekiel 13 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/7SVtTqEwlqg?a Freddie and Paul Show Episode 38 1 day ago
- Connecting Luther to Trump. Pondering the Legacy of the Reformation on a breezy California Mor… paulvanderklay.me/2017/10/14/con… via @wordpressdotcom 2 days ago
- King Ahab stumbles around "is this good?" paulvanderklay.me/2017/10/12/is-… 4 days ago
- Two talks by Mouw and one on the Reformation by Brad Gregory. Recommended. kingsu.ca/programs/addit… 5 days ago