What Damore didn’t grasp is that logic is no match for the social power of stereotypes. You can talk all day about curves, distributions, and outliers. But most people will absorb the stereotype, not the exceptions. That’s how stereotypes work: They simplify thought by categorizing things such as predators, trees, and the tribe next door. If you say Jews, on average, are wealthier than non-Jews, people will associate Jews with money. And when they meet someone who’s Jewish, they’ll start the relationship with that stereotype in mind.
Difference deniers see any claim of difference as an accusation of inferiority.
But just because you can talk about differences by sex, race, or ethnicity doesn’t mean you should. Part of intelligent cultural conservatism is understanding that the ideas passed down to us from the Enlightenment and the civil rights movement, such as treating people as individuals, are social institutions. They’re vulnerable to erosion, just as faith and family are. Charlottesville was a warning. If you go around spreading biological theories of sex, race, and attitude or aptitude, the culture of fairness can unravel.
- Chapter 1: The Shift in "The Road to Character"
- The Road to Character, Chapter 10, The Big Me, and Summary
- The Road to Character, Chapter 3, The Eisenhowers plus Sin and Moderation
- The Road To Character: The Summoned Self, Chapter 2, Francis Perkins
- The Difference Between a Faction and a Political Party
- Dorothy Day, "The Road to Character" Chapter 4
- Why Jordan Peterson Matters
- Christianity vs. Other Religions in the Roman Empire
- Tim Keller: "Our Call: Holy Living"
- Introduction to the Road to Character
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Video Wisdom
Tag Cloud#crcstructure Abortion Acts Advent Advent 2014 age of decay age to come A Secular Age Benedict Option book of Leviticus Caitlyn Jenner Calvin College Charles Taylor Christmas City Church San Francisco Confessional conversation CS Lewis Damon Linker David Brooks Donald Trump Douthat Dreher Esther Exodus Genesis hell Inspire2017 James John Suk Jonathan Haidt Jordan Peterson Katy Perry Keller Kierkegaard King David King Saul Lent Leviticus Meme of the week Moses NT Wright Oprah Palm Sunday Pentecost Peter Enns Pope Francis Progressive Liberationism raising of lazarus RCA reflected self relational polarity resurrection Rob Bell Rod Dreher Ryan Bell Skye Jethani SSM Steve Jobs Synod Synod2015 Synod2016 the book of exodus The Book of Joshua The Book of Judges The book of Leviticus The Book of Luke the book of Numbers The Book of Samuel the Gospel of John The Gospel of Matthew The Road to Character the self book The Ten Commandments Tim Keller transgender
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/Iis3Wut2bQ4?a Freddie and Paul Show Episode 37 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/iUxgox0joC0?a Elijah vs the Prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel 3 days ago
- Why @jordanbpeterson matters. paulvanderklay.me/2017/09/16/why… 4 days ago
- Miami U in Ohio? That caught my eye because of @SkyeJethani from the @philvischer podcast. In the news. thecollegefix.com/post/36229/ 1 week ago
- Ancient Near East prophesy (Babylon, Assyria) vs. Israelite prophesy paulvanderklay.me/2017/09/12/isr… 1 week ago
- RT @PhilReinders: I am so looking forward to 2018! twitter.com/MichaelRudzena… 1 week ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/Bemn7hynvOY?a Elijah Appears 1 week ago
- Introducing Elijah. The power of God in a man who suffers from hunger and thirst paulvanderklay.me/2017/09/08/int… 1 week ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/DZBM-AqIhlg?a Freddie and Paul Show Episode 35 2 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/aZUogDwoa90?a People are enslaved to everything except God 2 weeks ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/08Lyxs0bPCQ?a Ezekiel 9 2 weeks ago
- Bike sharing/dumping/panacea/plague reveals human nature in its manifest contradictions wapo.st/2vvBn6Z?tid=ss… 2 weeks ago
- RT @ianbremmer: Houston. Mumbai. Niger. All within the past week. https://t.co/CWk1N4ae7N 2 weeks ago